Monday, February 16, 2015

#KSCFEB15 - Paper Art Dolls

Hello Friends,
Today I woke up and said ACK! it is Monday again and time for a new Lifebook lesson and I have not finished the last one!!! So off I scurried to my studio to work on the 'paper dolls' idea that was presented to us last week by artist Jill K Berry at jillberrydesign. The idea was to make a linked set of paper doll type figures that represented your 'Heart Community' of people who have/do support you in your art quest. I have had trouble getting into this project because well...I just didn't like the figures she made. For one, they were all female and I have a very supportive male person in my life. For another they seemed boxy and frumpy to me. I did however like the idea of honoring and remembering those who are loving and supportive. I wanted to DO the project. Then...an idea smacked me in the head. I had pinned a sheet template of some articulated paper art dolls. They were from Kimberly Crick at Enchanted Gallery and she gave permission to use them so I decided to use them! A lucky coincidence...These are 'colored' which fits in with the Kraafter's Challenge over at Kraafters Kommunity as well :)


So, I printed out the 3 sheets of the dolls onto white confetti cardstock using my printer. I cut the first one out...I was excited to see what it looked like! And I put her together with mini brads. Wah Lah! Very cool.


But, it occurred to me it would be much easier to dray the faces and color these with them still on the sheet...LOL!  I drew the face first in pencil then went over it with a black pilot pigment pen. Then I used watercolor crayons blended with a wet brush to do the coloring. 


I wanted each doll to represent someone so I couldn't very well leave them bald...none of my people are at the moment :) So I drew around the head and then drew a hair style. Then I went over the pencil lines in black marker and erased the pencil. Then I colored the hair with watercolor crayon.


As I was putting together I noticed that while the head looks best attached behind the body...the other parts seem more realistic attached in front.


I had to take apart my first one and stick it down to a scrap piece to color it. I would definitely recommend coloring BEFORE you cut them out!


So I had my two women finished...now I needed a man doll! 


And here he is. I found this image on the Internet by searching 'image articulated male paper doll' but it did not have a source for me to lead you to. If you want a copy just message me and I can send it to you in email. (Warning..his legs are kinda odd)


Once I had my 3 important supporters done...it was time for them to get dressed already...geeze! I laid each one in a pose over another piece of white confetti cardstock and drew with a pencil around the body. Then I drew some clothes and went over the lines with black pen. In order to identify each person, I dressed them in clothes that indicated something they really like. 

Finally I cut out their clothing and tacked it to them with a bit of glue. If I were going to 'play' with them I would have needed tabs and to make the clothing articulated as well so it could move. I will either be tucking these into a pocket in my finished Lifebook..or else perhaps gluing them to a page...so I didn't worry about the clothes being glued on.


So who are they? These supportive people? The first is my Mom who loves butterflies. She always gave me art supplies as a child and supports my ideas to this day. The second is my best friend Cindy. She is a Portland Trailblazers fanatic and she loves all my art... and tries to buy it. The third is the Mr. He loves soccer so is wearing a USA Men's National Team jersey. He let's me do as much art as I want and has lately been suggesting I move my studio to the main living room of the house for more space. That is support! Inviting that mess into the family living space :)


I hope you have enjoyed my paper art dolls and they inspire you to think about who supports you in your journey to do what you love. 
<3 Shel

14 comments:

  1. Hi Shel!
    I'd Love it if You'd send me that male paper doll file in e-mail ( aikunihana$@$gmail.com <-- remove te $ signs).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure Aino-Marie, He is on his way :)

      Delete
  2. NICE! Shannon just went to your site and messaged me saying, "Daisy, you make a beautiful, butterfly paper doll. Good job! Michele...I enjoyed her post." I hadn't been here, yet. :) I say, "Ditto!" to Shannon's comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shel...this is Most Fabulicious. You have inspired me to do something similar, I Love it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Franalicious :) I hope you decide to make some as well..very fun!

      Delete
  4. Shel...this is Most Fabulicious. You have inspired me to do something similar, I Love it

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great project, Shel - LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Win. I bet your dolls would be so full of color they would jump right off the screen and do a dance on the desk!

      Delete
  6. These look like fun! The best part must have been dressing them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zsuzsa :) Yes, they were looking a tad nakey til I made some clothes :)

      Delete
  7. These are awesome Shel!! Your body coloring/shading is wonderful! I would love to sit and watch you create some day! hugs ")

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jackie :) Come on over and we can have cookies!

      Delete
  8. oh my gosh! Paper dolls!?!? love it!
    consider this another entry into the Kraafters Challenge - thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I read every one :)