Gift Worthy Blog Hop from the StencilGirl® Creative Team



Hello Friends :)

Today I am part of a blog hop that is offered by the StencilGirl® Creative Team. It is all about making some great DIY gifts for your loved ones using fabulous StencilGirl® stencil designs!
When asked to make a gift for this hop I was thinking about my friend who has a birthday in October. She loves to write and doodle in her personal journal and I thought a great birthday gift would be a custom created journal with matching accessories. So I gathered my supplies, stencils and paints and I went to work to create this pretty journal with it's matching pen and clip style bookmark.


I started out with these supplies...a journal I got on clearance at Walmart. The covers are banged up..but the paper is gorgeous and the structure is still strong. I certainly do not care about the covers since I plan to cover them with my own stenciled design anyway. I also collected a Pentel R.S.V.P ink pen as these have a clear barrel so I can add decor inside. And a large paper clip and die cut tag and fastener. That is all I need along with my stencils, paints and paper to get this gift started!


Next I measured the front and book covers (5 /12" X 8 1/2") and cut some 140 pound watercolor paper to slightly larger so I could trim it to size later. I also cut a piece of corrugated paper for covering the spine. I thought this would be nice for some texture and contrast as well as covering the binding and allowing me to add some ribbon bookmark to the spine as well. I also cut a strip of light weight paper for the inside of the pen. Now I started to add color layers and pattern to my papers!


My first layer I just added some india inks in 3 colors using a watercolor brush to get rid of that pesky plain white surface. I like india ink because it can behave like a watercolor..making tones and washes...but it is permanent when dry. My next layer was acrylic paint in the same 3 colors plus blacj and white. My color choices for both the india ink and acrylic paint were an orange, a purple and a teal. I used the StencilGirl® stencil SC-05-2016 designed by Stegmiller and some make up wedges to add my second layer of paint. My third layer was to add some white squares using the SC-05-2016 smaller stencil. 


My final layer of paint was to go back to the larger 9" X 12" stencil and do the entire layer in black. This allowed all my bright color layers to shine through only in the flower and leaf shapes and dots which I think looks really cool! I used the smaller 6" X 6" stencil again to create the focal image for the cover. 


For some finishing touches to all my pieces I used some Deco Just Glitter markers to add some shimmer to the cover. And then I assembled my little clip bookmark and pen to match using the strip of paper and the die cut pieces I had collected. I added some ribbons, thread, and beads to finish it all up. I think they are so cute and a great little gift for my friend!


To see how I made these little gifts in full detail with explanations of every step please visit my process video on my YouTube channel. I could not go into so much detail here on the blog and it is so much easier to explain while doing it and seeing it! So come check it out here...



Be sure to hop over to each fantastic project and leave a comment for the artist! 
The more comments, the more chances to WIN $50 of StencilGirl® stencils! Good Luck!

Claudia Neubacher's Tote Bag
Sunila & Aditi Mahajan's Treasure Box
Peg Robinson's Necklace
Shel C's Journal Set
Jennifer Gallagher's Paper Mache Gift Box
Linda Edkins Wyatt's Beach Memories Painting
Jill McDowell's Twisted Treasure Pouches
Carol Baxter's Advent Calendar


Contest closes 10-8-19 at 11:59 PM CST. Winner will be notified by email 10-9-19


Materials Used and Links:


Comments

  1. Really like your mixed media style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shel: I don't think about black with flowers but I will now. Fabulous journal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carol :) The contrast packs a punch..pow! LOL

      Delete
  3. Shel, this is a fantastic creation! Never thought black as a final layer would look so splendid! Journals and their accessories are always attractive, and the way you made yours, everyone would like to own a set! xx Sunila & Aditi

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome gift for you friend, thanks for inspiring me to making some amazing notebooks for my daughter's end of year teacher gifts. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well dang, Shel, I subscribe to your blog via email and came over to tell you how COOL your gift looks. And BONUS, lucky for me I stumble into a blog hop contest, lol. Seriously though, your friend is lucky in spades. Love how you also know how to decorate the innies of a pen. <3 xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Aimeslee :) Hey...if it can be decorated...I will do it LOL

      Delete
  6. Love this journal, Sue - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super journal set Shel, I love black with bright colors and I am sure your friend will love her birthday gift.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great gifting idea with the handmade touch!! Love your work :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking at this project makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice, I am always looking for ways to cover purchased journals and sketchbooks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really liked the accordion binding - very clever. The repeat pattern used in different ways makes the piece consistent and interesting at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great friend you are! She is going to flip over the journal! Wonderful and thoughtful gift idea!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always love watching you create Ms. Shel C.. I love this journal idea!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it! Thanks for the idea the journal looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
  15. As usual your work is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have a lucky friend, I bet this journal will be treasured and used for special thoughts and things meant for keeping. I love that the color shows through the black, it’s a great way to really work the stencils! Thank you for sharing and teaching me this technique I had not thought of!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann :) I love the stencil set and I picked the colors for what my friend likes.

      Delete
  17. Definitely gift worthy. I like the use of the corrugated for the spine; it gives the book a unique look. Great job. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely journal love all the vibrant colors and the matching pen. Beautiful project!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great idea! Love all the colors and matching accessories - I know someone who will like this!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh wow! This set is gorgeous!! I adore what you did with the journal!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love journals, and this is a very cute one. Thanks for sharing your technique. toneill26 (at) gmail (dot com)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Make journals is one of my favorite things to do and I love that you made it affordable and easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I love making them too..but I usually just use discarded cereal boxes and gel print papers and sew them together..that is affordable in a nutshell LOL

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I read every one :)