Saturday, December 27, 2014

Abstract Collage

Hello Friends,

I have had a large project going for awhile in the background. Something I do not only for fun, but also to get money for more art supplies :) I REALLY enjoy collage and awhile ago I started to make 'paper paintings' If you want to see a selection of some of them I have made you can look here Library of Paper Paintings by Shel Some of them were commission, and some were for fun or gifts. I have always told my friends and family "I can make anything" so my obsession with this form of artwork started like that..sort of a challenge. But I fell in love with it. I don't do them everyday...because they are slow, a bit tedious, and can make my hands, back and neck hurt. But I gain HUGE satisfaction from seeing each canvas come to life. Anyway, I recently finished this one. It was inspired by the little graphic that google had on Kandinsky's birthday recently. I hope you like it.


So the process is fairly simple... It starts with a pencil sketch on a pre-stretched canvas. This one is 24"X 24". 


Next I do a 'underpainting'. This will be fairly sloppy and basically a test of the colors and shapes. As I am doing this underpainting, I use excess paint on my palette to create collage papers to use with the piece. I generally use lightweight papers like newsprint or brown paper from packaging, deli papers, or magazine papers I have torn out. I apply the paint to the papers with a old credit card or fingers. Sometimes I also make a series of mono prints using the same paint colors on my Gelli plate.


Next I just tear up the piece of papers and put them sorted into colors in small plastic trays. I apply these to the canvas using matte liquid medium and a brush, going under the paper, then over the top. For this piece I had to make alot of sharp edges using a scissor. Usually I just use the paper torn as it is. I also go over the edges of the canvas wrapping it totally with the design so it can be hung up without a frame.


I hope you enjoyed this project. <3 Shel


16 comments:

  1. I love your collage Shel. Thanks for explaining the process. I can see that it would be time consuming. Your colours are so vivid...gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous abstract piece Shel, loved your painting and the collaging on it was a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Ruth. It was fun to make although it took awhile.

      Delete
  3. I never thought this is how it was made! So interesting to see the process! That is a BIG canvas - well, much bigger than I've ever worked on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zsuzsa :) Yes, it was big..almost too big for my desk lol

      Delete
  4. Terrific project, Shel and I love the POW of the colour with the shapes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Win :) I thought the colors went well with the shapes also.

      Delete
  5. So beautiful! I'm just in awe! Fun colors and layers and I love the size!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dana :) I really love lots of color! A good thing to see on a cold dark winter day.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks Sue :) Good to hear from another artist who loves gluey sticky paper.

      Delete
  7. Oh I just love this!!!! I love all colors and shapes, it's just fun to look at. hugs, Patty

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shel C, I think this is one of the first tuts I've seen...or at least got my attention! I didn't know you could use canvas on stretchers for collage. I really like this...thanks for an eye-opener!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicki :) Yes, I will glue papers to anything!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments. I read every one :)