Magical Forest - WOYWW #289

Hello Friends :)

I am back from my trip to the mountains of Arizona. The place I vacationed was at the base of the Mogollon Rim...a fascinating and beautiful natural structure. I visited so many interesting and inspiring natural places...like the biggest known travertine natural bridge! There was so much to inspire my art in the coming days :)
As I came home on Tuesday afternoon...I thought what I really wanted to do was take a nap in my own bed. So, I headed upstairs to do so. But, my studio called me instead! I had been thinking while I was driving in the magical ponderosa pine forests about the challenge of the month for art journaling over at Creating and Sharing Mixed Media Art. The theme was 'Magic' and I just had to journal it!
So, What is on my Workdesk Wednesday? This page in my art journal :)


So how did I do it?  It all started with a page in my art journal that was collaged left over stamped tissue paper. This was leftover from the lighted Christmas tree canvases I had done, and I knew I wanted to something mildly 'Christmasy' in my journal. 


I thought the patterns were too distracting and colorful for what I had in mind...so I toned it down with some watery white gesso. Then I made a pencil drawing of my idea.


Next, I wanted to fill in the background with the idea of a pine forest. I used an Exacto knife on a piece of scrap cardstock to make a imporvised stencil. I 'pounced' acrylic paint through the stencil using a large stencil brush, I started with a light green and worked my way darker as I went down the page.


For the big tree in the foreground, I wanted a bumpy rough looking texture, so I used scraps torn paper in browns and rusts and collaged those on using matte gel medium.


Once that was done, I started painting the shadows and highlights on the fairy figure, I added this photo to show you just how silly it looks before the skin tone is put on over it.  So if you have been trying to paint faces or figures lately, don't stress at this part of the process. It will all turn out OK eventually :) (Disclaimer: I am not an expert at faces)




When I was finished with all the painting, I added some stamped pine boughs and cones in the background. I added outlines and highlights using a Micron fine tip pen and a Sakura white gel pen. I also added Stickles glitter glue on the fairy and the wand. Then the final touch was small beads and a gold punched star on the baby Christmas tree. The last thing I did was add in the saying which I printed off my computer. 


I hope you enjoyed my project. What is on your workdesk today? Share with Julia and the rest of us over at Stamping Ground every Wednesday.
<3 Shel

P.S: I finished the tag for the swap that was partially done on my desk last Wednesday (for those of you who follow along :) The theme for the month was 'red'.



Comments

  1. That art work is stunning, Shel! So glad you had a wonderful time. Have a great week, Chris # 8

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great artwork Shel! I like how you showed your whole process. The home-made stencils are fantastic! I try to train myself not to buy stuff that I can make. This would be a good example! Happy WoYWW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zsuzsa :) I agree that it is hard not to buy everything you see...even if you know you can make it. Believe me I would have used a bought stencil of pines if I had one!

      Delete
  3. Shel it is simply beautiful, I would love to visit a mountain full of magical creatures :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Ruth :) I too would love to live in a world of magical creatures. At least they live in my imagination.

      Delete
  4. Shel, The tree made from collaging the various brown papers is stunning!!! But then this whole piece is stunning. The quad picture would make wonderful note cards -- I love the parts of you journal you chose to make that with. Each stands along as it's own work, yet creates a beautiful quad...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sylvia :) I love collage more then anything...but the mixed media is really capturing my attention at the moment. I agree...I have been exploring the possibilities of re-using my art as digital images in different ways. That little 4 picture collection would look great on a card...good idea!

      Delete
  5. I always enjoy seeing works in progress! Sometimes I think at the start that I'll do it, and I usually forget to take pictures in between! Good job! Have a blessed season! patsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patsy :) Yes, it is hard to remember to take those little photos when the muse has you in her grip and you are feverishly creating. I have my phone in my studio and just snap away with the idea that I am going to share these days. Sometimes it even works..lol

      Delete
  6. So lovely, Shel - I'm NUTS about your Christmas tree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Win :) I had fun getting sticky fingers attaching all those tiny beads and things!

      Delete
  7. What a neat technique! Your tag is adorable. Happy WOYWW! Sandy Leigh #41

    ReplyDelete
  8. What wonderful magic in your journal page.
    Thanks for the earlier visit.
    Krisha

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your journal page is beautiful. Thank you for showing how it is done. Clever you for making your own stencil!
    The tags are fabulous! I love them!
    Thank you for your sweet comment on my page.
    Have a good week,
    Lisca#18

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your page is just gorgeous - I love it! I also love seeing the steps you took to get there - it's fascinating seeing how other people work and the techniques used. Thank you for sharing, and thank you for visiting my desk earlier - I hope you have a great week,
    Diana #28

    ReplyDelete
  11. Magical is right. Thanks for sharing your process in wonderful detail. Happy holidays.

    Pat #49

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice page! Thanks for sharing the process!
    Happy holidays
    Gabriele 19

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your work is beautiful!! Anne x #9

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow Wow! Don't know which bit I love most..probably the part that is the inspiration - your trip! Gorgeous work..fancy the beads on the tree, what a fab idea.. Your tags are great, certainly fir the theme and then add flair too..you must be pleased.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never heard of the Mogollon Rim! It sounds an amazing place, especially if it gave you the inspiration for your lovely painting :-). I love the way the painting emerges from the background!
    Sending you Festive Hugs,
    LLJ 20 xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous journal page - I love the stencilled background and the texture of the collaged tree trunk, beautiful :o) Happy WOYWW Annie C #27

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, your journal page ia beautiful. Isn't it great to go somewhere and find inspiration all around. I live in the mountains of northern New Mexico and every time I look at the terrain I see something new.

    Happy WOYWW
    Peace, Kay (43)

    ReplyDelete
  18. love the page and good to see the various stages
    thanks for sharing
    janet #13

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great journal page and nice to see something other than Christmas stuff.
    Thanks for the visit, happy crafting, Angela x 31

    ReplyDelete
  20. thanks for the step outs of your process. I'm inspired- more painting in 2015.
    thanks for visiting
    robyn 7

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a wonderful memory of your trip, nice work!

    I, too, can think of many a time the desire for a nap has warred with the desire to create. Glad your creating won this time.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and for the nice comments. :-)

    Happy creating and happy woyww,

    Sandy #30

    ReplyDelete
  22. what a fabulous page, I loved it before you transformed it into your winter wonderland! Helen #1

    ReplyDelete
  23. Loving the art work and the tags.

    Happy WOYWW
    Sue #34

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your page is amazing! I get the not being able to nap thing, I have had nights like that when something crafty is in my head and in the end I have to get up and do it!

    Cazzy #55

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hey Shel, thanks for your visit last week during WOYWW unfortunately work was a bit stressful and I went into hibernation and I didn't visit ANYONE..swung by today to see what is going on..your trip sounds awesome. I can't nap either..it makes me grumpy! Love the finished tag and the journal page is simply stunning. Cx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for visiting ! Wonderful journal page ! So lovely to be inspired by your holiday trip ! Hope you have a lovely Christmas Ali #17

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love your work - what a fabulous way of remembering something that has obviously moved you so much.
    Hugs, Neet 22 xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. ah Shel clever work there ... love the step by step, as you would never know what the base of the work was!!
    Happy WOYWW< and every blessing of the CHRISTmas season, Shaz in Oz.x #4

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your artwork is lovely! So bright and cheerful.
    Thanks for dropping by earlier. Sorry I am so late.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh I love your Magic Forest, it's amazing and so beautiful, as are the tags. Have a wonderful Christmas.

    Hugs
    Brenda 38

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I read every one :)