#WOYWW Wait! Its not paper! Mixed Media Kozies.

Hello All :)

I decided to be brave and participate in this 'blog hopping' thing called Whats on Your Workdesk Wednesdays over at Stamping Ground. I figured it would give me inspiration to do art on Tuesday nights for the challenge of getting my blog post done by Wednesday morning! I know..this isn't paper but in the past I have made numerous T-shirts and other items of clothing that were stamped with acrylic paint mixed with fabric medium or fabric inks. I even made a whole display for a convention once where I demonstrated stamping on fabrics. So, although I LOVE PAPER the mostest...I do also dabble in textiles! So without further ado...here is what is on my workdesk on Wednesday morning. Mixed Media Koffee Kozies!



So how did I make these you ask? Well let me tell you :P I actually wanted to make these as gifts. I saw a bazillion ideas for them on Pinterest and I think they sounded fun and useful. But of course..mine can't be like anyone elses. I have to be Shel! So first I cut some plain cotton fabric into the kozy shape using a template I found at The House on Hill Road. Then I put gesso on it  and because it curled..and because I am impatient..I ironed it between 2 sheets of waxed paper. Now it was ready for color! So what else but the Gelli plate!!!! I decided because they were small I would use my 3" X 5" and mount it on an acrylic block like a stamp. I used plain acrylic paint but had I been worried these might get washed...I would have added in some fabric medium.


I started with the bright one. I am always drawn to the bright colors. I applied the colors to the plate using a brayer, then 'stamped' it onto the fabric in rows to get a pretty color full background. Then I used a stencil in a swirly pattern over the top and sponged through it with white gesso. I added some words using black acrylic paint and letter stamps (Stampin' Up!). I made a 'ink pad' with a cosmetic sponge by rubbing in the paint with a palette knife and spritzing with a tiny bit of water. Once the letters were stamped I did heat set again with a hot iron between 2 pieces of waxed paper. To finish off this one I added some white dots with a brush. Some black spatters. And some glittery silver  fabric paint.


For the next one I went with the earth tones again and used tube acrylics in the same manner I did here on my Round Robin Journal. Then I used the same paints to paint a desert scene. 


For the Koffee Kozy I used colors of browns on my brayer to make a background with a circle splotch stencil. Then I used  the same stencil sponged through over the top. To make areas in which to stamp the koffee related images, I masked a rectangular area with painters tape and painted over with gesso and a brush. The stamping was done with black acrylic again.To finish up, I touched up with a brush and added in some blue. I added highlights with the white Sakura gel pen.


Finally for the green colored kozy...I put the leafy stencil directly over the kozy material and then I rolled green acrylic on to my Gelli plate and 'smooshed it' over the top of the stencil. Next I  sponged through the stencil in a variety of colors onto the Gelli and used it that way. I finished up stamping some daisies over it in white and black gessos and added some details with a brush. Then I added the word with letter stamps.


I hope you enjoyed these little gifties. Now to sew them all up and add the elastics and buttons. I will say I LOATHE hand sewing at the end. My fingers cramp, I stick my self with the needle and bleed on the project. You get the idea. Anyone want to finish them for me?? :) 
<3 Shel


Comments

  1. Wowza!!! What an amazing job Shel! They are really quite fantastic!!! What do I want for Christmas? LOL!
    Hope the holidays are under control at your house and not making you totally crazy. I look forward to visiting your WOYWW post next week... Oh, and I am your newest follower, well as of the writing of this comment! :D
    Hugs,
    Beth P
    #49

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth for loving them and following my blog (I am a bit new as you can tell too all this) Hmm..are the holidays every really under control? So many things to make in all the bright colors of the season! <3

      Delete
  2. Hope you will finish them Shel, because they look gorgeous, loved your prints!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth :) 3 done and 1 to sew...maybe I will make more though as they were really fun and I love giving gifts.

      Delete
  3. Brilliant idea Shel! I love all those prints! Welcome to WOYWW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zsuzsa :) I was inspired to join WOYWW by you actually. I followed the link on your blog a few weeks ago ....then I thought...that could be fun!

      Delete
    2. I was happy to see you there, Shel! I only started doing it a few weeks ago myself!

      Delete
  4. What a fun idea - love that you have played with so many great colour schemes & ideas ! Please share next week when they are all finished ! Welcome to WOYWW Ali H #51

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ali. Yes I plan to start sharing with WOYWW whenever possible..its fun and the people are so positive :)

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous prints on there, Shel - LOVE the idea and the execution. They'll make a cup of coffee 1000 x better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Win Dinn :) Gelli print every little thing I say! Not sure I can gelli print the plastic travel cups I got to go with them..but if there is a way I will try it! lol

      Delete
  6. They look wonderful - the experiments really paid off! Happy WOYWW, Chris # 15

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chrysallis for visiting my desk. They were fun to do for sure and I think pretty useful as well.

      Delete
  7. Love these, what a great idea. They would make good gifts and you could keep one in your bag. We often have a coffee when we are out and they can get quite hot, love them. Happy crafting, Angela x 28

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angela :) Yes I was thinking about my friend who orders his coffee 'extra hot' at starbucks. I think I would prefer tepid..I wonder if that is an option? lol

      Delete
  8. Oh, there's lots of us who dabble in fabric here!! We're all different though and I've never done mixed media stuff...it's fab! Love the brightly coloured Sassy one :-)
    Welcome to WOYWW, be warned, it's addictive!
    Hugs, LLJ 22 x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the warm welcome to WOYWW :) With all the positive responses I can sure tell it will be addictive!

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thank you Peggy. I think where I live is beautiful...though most would say it is too hot and dry and generally icky..lol

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I read every one :)