Conversations With Fish - Journal52 Week 3

Hi All :)

This morning I was feeling a bit stuck. I had several journal page prompts to do from different things I have joined...but just had no ideas and a bad case of white page syndrome! Then I was reading a post by my friend Ruth L at Lerusho and she had done some 'intuitive painting' in one of her books. She got the inspiration from a blog called Mixed Media Place where they are doing some art exercises they are calling 'Creative Gym'. Now I am none to fond of the gym..lol..but I can get into these exercises! So, I decided to give it a try.


Thanks to a mysterious and very sweet 'art angel' I just received a present of some Inktense Blocks by Derwent. I have been wishing for these very cool color tools..and SURPRISE they appeared in my mailbox! So I decided to use them for my intuitive painting. I used a brush with water on it and just ran it across the top of the blocks while they were still in the case. Then I put color as randomly as i could onto the page. I used bright green, blue, dark blue and dark green.


Next comes the fun part. The exercise is to look at the page and find some shapes or images in the randomness. Well, I was still thinking about a few of the prompts I had to work on and one was from Journal52. The prompt was 'conversation starters' and as I was looking at the page I started to see some fish. Then I remembered I had this weird dream about having a conversation with a very wise fish. AH HA! my page! So I traced the images I saw with a pencil..and then I painted the negative space with some white acrylic mixed with aqua. 


Next I tried out the Inktense pencils using them as drawing tools. I drew around the shapes and then blended with a wet brush to make the shapes stand out more. Then I decided the page needed more personality so I sketched in some sill details on the fish.


Finally to finish up the page I added details with a white Sakura gel pen and a black Zig journaling pen. I added a title to remember what the page was about.


I hope you enjoyed this project and will give intuitive painting a try! It is really fun.
<3Shel


Comments

  1. I love this Shel and the title made me chuckle...Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roz. You would laugh a lot if you saw some of my strange dreams :)

      Delete
  2. What a FUN composition! If I had to choose a favorite fish, I think I would chose the blue fish with bubbly eyes, The star fish is very cute, too. And your free hand title lettering is great. How nice to be surprised by a mysterious 'art angel'...the Inktense Blocks by Derwent. SWELL! I typed a comment, just a bit ago, but it did not post...Hmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shel it was becoming gorgeous, love that undersea colours and how the fishes are emerging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ruth. I was inspired by your houses to try this out. I want to do it some more..so fun :)

      Delete
  4. This has worked really well! Made me look into "intuitive painting". Your fish look so cute with the addition of the pen work. The black and white doodles made the picture come alive! I so want to try something like this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Zsuzsa :) Do try it..it is very fun and makes you think about shape and color. You have to really SEE. I want to do it more.

      Delete
  5. So glad you let your muse take over and go intuitively- this is great Shel!! What a fun spread! ")

    ReplyDelete
  6. So fun and colorful! I really enjoy your blog! Thank you for joining the Mixed Media Place challenge!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I read every one :)