Growth Page for 2015 Document Life Project

Hi :)

I just finished my first 2-page spread in my new Document Life Project journal. DLP is a free inspirational class that lasts all year over at Art to the 5th Academy. The journal they suggested was the Dylusions Creative Journal, so I did get that one but in the smaller size then they suggested. Mine is 5" X 8". I am fine with that as I have lots of bigger pages and journals and paintings to do all year.


The challenge for this week was using book paper to overcome the white page. I went with that look of using a lot of typography all over the page. I don't actually have 'book paper' as I can't bring myself to tear up an actual book. I used some tissue paper that I have purchased at Michael's that has type and music score all over it. Also, I took a few of my test type large stamps and stamped them on deli paper with permanent black ink and used those as well. After I glued them all over the page, then a went over it with watery gesso to unify the look.


Next, I wanted to make a tag to write my goals for the year so I could make them private on the page. I started with a left over scrap of Gelli print and added some stamping and strips of other Gelli print scraps. I sponged the edge with orange ink as well.


Then I stamped some numbers in teal ink and embossed and added those. Finally I added some shadows with my black watercolor pencil and a waterbrush. I hole protector at the top I made with a star punch.


The next steps for the background I forgot to take photos...the muse got me too involved!

I used a combo of teal, orange, and bright green acrylic paint and smeared it with a old credit card randomly on the page and spritzed with water...then I used some leafy stencils over it and removed some of the color with a baby wipe through the stencil. 

After that I drew in some doodles with paint pens and white gel pen. 

I added some stamped words...a good tip is to stamp the word on a scrap first so you can see the size and placement.

The last thing I did was add the little Hero Arts text bird that I colored to match. I thought she was perfect for the theme. 


Here are some closeups of the finished project. I hope you like it!


<3 Shel

Comments

  1. Love it Shel! I ordered my dylusions journal and am going to wait on it. Should be min or tues...I'm ready! Just hope I get as good results as you have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicki. I anxiously waited for my journal lol. I was worried I would get behind but it came in time. So far I like it even though its smaller then I am used to.

      Delete
  2. Loving this page, Shel. What a colour combo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Win :) I was in a orange mood. I even was eating an orange when I made the page! My fingers were sticky from more then just matte gel medium!

      Delete
  3. Very pretty, I have a book I've been thinking about doing something like this. I may have to try it today. Thanks for the inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim :) Yes, give it a go! Art journaling is very rewarding.

      Delete
  4. I absolutely love this Shel! Like how you're planning on listing the good things. We all too often just focus on the negative! May the list of good things be very long for you in 2015!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much :) I do plan to write good things when I find them 'document life worthy. There isn't alot of space so they need to big pretty big ones. I hope your year brings you everything you wish for :)

      Delete
  5. Looking good, Shel! A great start to the year.
    Btw, I'm putting your tag for the January tag swap in the post today. Just want to give it plenty of time to get there from here :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tracy. I look forward to the tag! Did you get mine yet? I mailed early..before Christmas I think.

      Delete
  6. Got my journal today! Love Amazon Prime...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woot! I love it too...usually just 2 days to get here. I should have got the larger one though...but oh well...I have enough journals going as it is.

      Delete
  7. very beautiful, love all the layers. You got me interested about project life, just signed myself in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thankds butterfliecrafter :) Glad you joined up :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I read every one :)