I just finished my first 2-page spread in my new Document Life Project journal. DLP is a free inspirational class that lasts all year over at Art to the 5th Academy. The journal they suggested was the Dylusions Creative Journal, so I did get that one but in the smaller size then they suggested. Mine is 5" X 8". I am fine with that as I have lots of bigger pages and journals and paintings to do all year.
The challenge for this week was using book paper to overcome the white page. I went with that look of using a lot of typography all over the page. I don't actually have 'book paper' as I can't bring myself to tear up an actual book. I used some tissue paper that I have purchased at Michael's that has type and music score all over it. Also, I took a few of my test type large stamps and stamped them on deli paper with permanent black ink and used those as well. After I glued them all over the page, then a went over it with watery gesso to unify the look.
Next, I wanted to make a tag to write my goals for the year so I could make them private on the page. I started with a left over scrap of Gelli print and added some stamping and strips of other Gelli print scraps. I sponged the edge with orange ink as well.
Then I stamped some numbers in teal ink and embossed and added those. Finally I added some shadows with my black watercolor pencil and a waterbrush. I hole protector at the top I made with a star punch.
The next steps for the background I forgot to take photos...the muse got me too involved!
I used a combo of teal, orange, and bright green acrylic paint and smeared it with a old credit card randomly on the page and spritzed with water...then I used some leafy stencils over it and removed some of the color with a baby wipe through the stencil.
After that I drew in some doodles with paint pens and white gel pen.
I added some stamped words...a good tip is to stamp the word on a scrap first so you can see the size and placement.
The last thing I did was add the little Hero Arts text bird that I colored to match. I thought she was perfect for the theme.
Here are some closeups of the finished project. I hope you like it!