#KSCJAN15 - Color Challenge Blue and Orange + Homemade Texture Paste

Hello,

Today I woke up on the wrong side of the bed...disgruntled. I watched my video for the day from Creative Jumpstart and that didn't help either. I was meant to link up with the desk hoppers over at Stamping Ground. I didn't do it. I was just feeling like a grizzly bear who wants to eat until full up and then hibernate! I was annoyed because the last couple inspiration videos I have watched..I don't own the product totry the techniques.....grrrr. I hate that!
So, I decided to do something different. I had seen several recipes for homemade texture paste on pinterest and...that is one of the things I don't have..texture paste. So I made it. The recipes all seemed to call for 3 ingredients: A powder (I used baby powder, but some used corn starch) A glue ( I used mod podge but some used white school glue) and gesso. I mixed it all up with a palette knife in a reused plastic jar with a screw on lid. Then I needed something to do with it, so I decided to cut up a piece of packaging from a pack of canvases. I didn't want to use expensive paper in case the paste didn't work. I made some 'tags' 3" X 7" and got out some stencils and went to town.


It worked!!! But then, what to do with them. Then I remembered the Kraafters Challenge for this month over at Kraafters Kommunity. It is a color challenge. Use the colors blue and orange. Well I may not have the products I saw on other videos...but I DO HAVE blue and orange!
I first tried out some shimmery 'Magicals' from Lindy's Stamp Gang. I used a waterbrush and just dipped the tip in the power and brushed it on over the tag. It is very shimmery although hard to tell in the photo.


Next I tried out some Ranger alcohol inks. I rubbed it on with the applicator, but it wasn't intense enough for me, so I added some drops straight from the bottle.
 The texture pasted area didn't stand out enough, so I had an idea...why not sand it till the white shows? So I got out a sanding block and tried it...worked GREAT!


Next I tried out some Heidi Swapp shimmery sprays. I didn't have orange so I went for gold.


At this point I tried out a watery acrylic wash over the stenciled word 'Gratitude'..but forgot a photo. 
Then I decided to try out my small Gelli plate as a stamp tosee how that would apply color. Not bad...a bit muddy.



So then I tried the same acrylic colors apply it straight on with a brayer. That worked really well.


For my last one I decided to try out dye inks. I just opened the pads and rubbed it straight on the tag. It worked very well and was a lot of color for a very small effort :)



The alchol inked piece went into my Gelli jumpstart journal...still making the main colors blue and orange. 


I finished up a few of the tags. Or they might be bookmarks.


I hope you enjoyed the experiments! <3 Shel

Comments

  1. That's pretty good going for someone who woke up disgruntled and uninspired! I felt just like that yesterday, but managed to get back on track! I'm amazed how doing art can make me immune to depression these days. I might get down for a short while, but it doesn't last long. Your texture paste seemed to have worked - that's something to celebrate and you have created some amazing things with it! I haven't seen the colour challenge yet - I'll go and check it out in a sec!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree art makes everything better. I had to force myself to go in the studio and quit being a baby..but when I got the paste made I was happier then a babe in a sandbox :P

      Delete
  2. Pretty energetic for a "grump"... gorgeous, Wonderful tags!!! I need to borrow some of your "grump" please! !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL..believe me you don't want my grump...everyone avoids me when I am like that. But it all turned out fine in the end once I got busy creating :)

      Delete
  3. oh Shel - you make me WANT to start my days with grumpiness from now on just by seeing your results! WOWZERS!!!!
    Might I add that you captured the spirit of the challenge quite well!!!
    You are now entered into this month's Kraaft Shaak giveaway!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I am entered in the giveaway :) I would like to win so I can get some of those delicious sprays from dylusions you have in the shop!

      Delete
  4. oh one more thing...did you figure out the right ratio of stuff to make that texture paste???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes :) 1 1/2 C baby powder to 1/2 C gesso, to 1/4C Mod Podge. I used genertic baby power from walmart and cheap thin daylor rowney gesso from walmart. The mod podge was pretty old too so I added a tiny bit more...then ended up adding a tiny bit more powder lol. The studio smelled like a nursery all day.

      Delete
  5. I agree! Pretty productive for a pi**y mood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was pi**y for sure! But the creative came when I called..LOUDLY :P

      Delete
  6. Glad that your grumpy turned into Grandeur. !!Love them all. flowers are my favorite. I made some texture paste when I realized how much this stuff costs. it worked out great. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fran :) Yes, it is expensive. I was going to try spackle from the home depot (you know for patching dry wall holes or whatever) but the baby powder stuff actually smells better and I think was super cheap too.

      Delete
  7. Love all those yummy textures and the colours are great as well! Your journal spread is simply gorgeous, love the palette with the lady in the middle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ruth. I loved the textures also. Glad I got out of my moodiness and made something productive with my time.

      Delete
  8. I especially liked the one you sanded, the details of the lettering is great. I like to make my texture paste with babypowder, because of the smell :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love the smell. Between the paste and the baby wipes...my studio was smelling great :P

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I read every one :)