Today I woke up on the wrong side of the bed...disgruntled. I watched my video for the day from Creative Jumpstart and that didn't help either. I was meant to link up with the desk hoppers over at Stamping Ground. I didn't do it. I was just feeling like a grizzly bear who wants to eat until full up and then hibernate! I was annoyed because the last couple inspiration videos I have watched..I don't own the product totry the techniques.....grrrr. I hate that!
So, I decided to do something different. I had seen several recipes for homemade texture paste on pinterest and...that is one of the things I don't have..texture paste. So I made it. The recipes all seemed to call for 3 ingredients: A powder (I used baby powder, but some used corn starch) A glue ( I used mod podge but some used white school glue) and gesso. I mixed it all up with a palette knife in a reused plastic jar with a screw on lid. Then I needed something to do with it, so I decided to cut up a piece of packaging from a pack of canvases. I didn't want to use expensive paper in case the paste didn't work. I made some 'tags' 3" X 7" and got out some stencils and went to town.
It worked!!! But then, what to do with them. Then I remembered the Kraafters Challenge for this month over at Kraafters Kommunity. It is a color challenge. Use the colors blue and orange. Well I may not have the products I saw on other videos...but I DO HAVE blue and orange!
I first tried out some shimmery 'Magicals' from Lindy's Stamp Gang. I used a waterbrush and just dipped the tip in the power and brushed it on over the tag. It is very shimmery although hard to tell in the photo.
Next I tried out some Ranger alcohol inks. I rubbed it on with the applicator, but it wasn't intense enough for me, so I added some drops straight from the bottle.
The texture pasted area didn't stand out enough, so I had an idea...why not sand it till the white shows? So I got out a sanding block and tried it...worked GREAT!
Next I tried out some Heidi Swapp shimmery sprays. I didn't have orange so I went for gold.
At this point I tried out a watery acrylic wash over the stenciled word 'Gratitude'..but forgot a photo.
Then I decided to try out my small Gelli plate as a stamp tosee how that would apply color. Not bad...a bit muddy.
So then I tried the same acrylic colors apply it straight on with a brayer. That worked really well.
For my last one I decided to try out dye inks. I just opened the pads and rubbed it straight on the tag. It worked very well and was a lot of color for a very small effort :)
The alchol inked piece went into my Gelli jumpstart journal...still making the main colors blue and orange.
I finished up a few of the tags. Or they might be bookmarks.
I hope you enjoyed the experiments! <3 Shel