Thursday, February 26, 2015

Favorite Favorites

Hi <3

I have completed my art journal page for Lifebook week #9 and would love to share it with you! This project was inspired by artist Lynn Whipple who is so fun to watch. I thoroughly enjoyed watching her create her version of the favorite favorites jar. She made me laugh several times with her antics...especially about not being able to spell.... as I have the same problem. She really seemed to almost glow with positivity. Here is the project she inspired :)


My process took a different turn from Lynn's although the idea is the same. I started with randomly blocking in acrylic colors on my 140 pound cold pressed paper. I used a wide flat dry brush and didn't clean it off in between switching colors. I didn't bother staying in either the warm or cool colors I just picked colors that are my FAVORITE :) 


Next I wanted to blend and smooth the colors a bit so I decided to use my brayer. I have some Pebeo Studio Acrylics that are infused with shimmer. I decided to cast a shimmery feel over my whole piece by using these with my 2 inch brayer. I hope you can see the shimmer in the photos.


Now I needed to define the jar shape. I used my soft graphite pencil to draw the line. I wanted a version of a small mouth canning jar like we used when I was a child. Next I went around the negative space with black gesso. I was going to use a light color like Lynn did to block out the negative space, but then I remembered a page I did with colorful silhouettes and black gesso and decided that would be much cooler! I touched up some of the black edges using my Sharpie poster paint pen after the gesso was dry.


Now I just wanted to add some highlights and shadows to make the jar more dimensional, so I used my white and black Posca paint pens and my black Stabilo pencil and aquabrush around the edges. I also drew in a label hanging from a string. I used white acrylic to block out the label before adding the words and shadows.


The final step was to add all my 'favorite favorites' I did this using a some stamped images as well as the stuff you see below in the photo. I randomly thought of things and wrote or drew them inside the jar. I tried to vary my size and styles of writing to add more interest. I highlighted some of the writing with colors or white. It was a fun exercise in GRATITUDE thinking about people, places, and things, that make me happy.


Here is a photo without flash that looks more flat...the other one is trying to show the shimmer. This one may show more detail though.


I hope you enjoyed this project and are inspired to make your own favorite favorites jar!
<3 Shel

6 comments:

  1. A magic jar! Full of glimmer and mystery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed reading and seeing some images of your 'favorite' things in your colorful, shimmering jar! FUN!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I read every one :)