Dia De Los Muertos Tag for Tag It Tuesday :)

Hello My Friends :)

Today I am sharing with you a tag I made for the Tag it Tuesday Link Party over at my friend Sheri's blog, Cards and More by Sheri. The theme for this month's link party is 'spooky'. My tag does look a bit spooky, but it is also represents of a holiday that is commonly celebrated in my home state of Arizona called Dia de los Muertos or Day of the Dead. This holiday is a way of honoring and remembering all the loved ones who have passed on. In my city there is a parade called the 'All Souls' downtown and many people paint their faces to look like the traditional themed treat called 'sugar skulls'. They walk in the procession carrying photos of their dearly departed ones. My tag represents a girl who has painted her face for the parade :) Enjoy!


If you follow my blog at all...you know that I cut my own tags from old manila folders most of the time. Today is no exception. My tag is 3"X 7" and I added a coat of white gesso.


Next I used my soft graphite pencil to make a sketch of a face. I wanted to make it symmetrical with the features in the correct placement before I put in the 'make up' that will obscure the features somewhat.



Then I added the details in with my pencil. 


Now for color. I started with my all time favorite Neocolor II water soluble crayons, blending with a Aquash brush filled with water.


Then for more precise details I used my Inktense pencils and blended with a small liner brush and water to 'set' the ink of the pencils.


Next I added lines and highlights with my black and white Posca paint pens.


For some added visual interest, I used a fan brush with Decoarts media fluid acrylic to add white spatters and splashes. Of course my hands and even my glasses received some spatters too..LOL


I love solid boarders on my tags so I added a layer of dark purple card stock. It seemed too flat so I used a metal ruler and my white Posca pen to go around the edge between the painted tag and the cardstock layer.


She needed something more. Ah ha! flowers. I used my Decoarts media line ink sprays to color some paper flowers from Recollections. Then I glued them on with Aileens tacky glue and added a rhinestone to the center.


Now for one more little detail. I decided to hang a charm off my ribbons at the top of the tag but didn't have anything appropriate in my stash. So, I used some shrink plastic to make several sugar skull charms. I drew them on sanded white shrink plastic using my Pitt artist brush pens because these are india ink and permanent when dry. Then I cut them out and punched a hole..then shrank them with my heat tool. I added a coat of Decoarts satin varnish and a jump ring...and there you go!


Here is a picture of my girl tag with her companion pet tag. We can certainly honor the spirits of our passed fur babies as well :)



I hope you enjoyed my tag. Please join in with Tag it Tuesdays over at Cards and More by Sheri :)

Oh..and leave me a comment..I LOVE COMMENTS! <3 Shel

Comments

  1. Oh shel, YOU Captured the Spirit of this Holiday, and I love the dog one!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sylvia :) I really do love the feeling of this holiday. I am making another project in this theme...check back soon :)

      Delete
  2. Shel, she is sugary sweet! heehee And of course you are using my favorite color, purple!
    so, they already had the parade? Did you get photos? Would love to see them!
    I love making little shrines for this holiday- such a fun way to honor those gone before us!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks +JackieP Neal :) No, the parade is at the end of the month. I am making a tray I will show when it is finished for my alter this year :)

      Delete
  3. I want to make one ... don't know how to draw faces, but they are so painted no one will really know? The dog is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should make one! If you don't feel comfortable drawing the face..just use my sketch above and paint your sugar skull over it. Or download another from the web..or use a magazine page..or or :) Just do something creative!

      Delete
  4. Oh my gosh, these are AWESOME Shel! My sister would love these for sure, she is a HUGE Day of the Dead fan!!! You did these up right for sure! :)))))))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Felicia :) This is such a fun and yet poignant holiday.

      Delete
  5. These look fun, Shel! Glad to see you're back! I started cutting my own tags too out of watercolour paper. I figured it's better value to buy the larger sheets of paper and cut it to size for journal pages and I use the leftover strips for tags and cards, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zsuzsa :) Yes I agree... cutting up paper is such as easy way to save a little cash.

      Delete
  6. What a wonderfully pair of spooky tags, Shel. You've captured the Day of the Dead feel perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic as always! So fun to see you using the shrink plastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheri :) I think shrink plastic is so fun. I wonder why more people don't use it in mixed media? hmmm...I will use it more and start a trend? LOL

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I read every one :)