I am trying to do a few blog posts now as I will be going out of town on Saturday for a week. I am visiting with my friend...you know the one who buys me art supplies :) It will be nice to get away and see some new scenery for a bit. So...here is a new blog post and a new process video. I am still very shaky on this video thing. The editing is really no fun. I hope some people do like the videos :) For those fans of the step out here on the blog..I am doing one of those too. Here is my new project...a dimensional Fall altered tag.
I was thumbing through Pinterest and I saw a altered tag where the girl was using those fun foam pre-cut stickers. It reminded me of something I taught years ago when I was a Stampin' Up! Demonstrator (yeah I did that for over 10 years and in 3 states) So I decided to adapt that technique to mixed media and make this tag.
I started with self adhesive fun foam from Walmart. And a heavy watercolor stock tag. Then I cut pieces of fun foam to fit my stamp and heated it with my heat tool. Then I pressed down hard and held the stamp until the foam was cooled off. This makes a deep impression. It works best with deeply etched stamps of course.
Next was the fussy cutting of the leaves. Then I started to assemble my tag. I added a few piece of masking tape to give a bit more texture.
Then I added my first coat of gesso, let that dry, and added a second coat. I did not use a heat tool to speed the drying as I was afraid it would soften the fun foam and ruin my texture.
My next steps were to add some ink spray in a tea stain color, and then paint my leaves with several layers of distress inks. I used a water color brush to apply the colors.
Once that was all dry I added a sponged boarder with distress ink and then added more dimension with dimensional magic from Mod Podge. This creates a very shiny clear coat where you apply it. I just did the leaves.
While the dimensional magic was wet I sprinkled on some gold colored microbeads for even more textural interest.
Once all those layers were dry, I finished the tag with some words stamped on a scrap piece of cardstock and framed with a metal finding.
Then I colored some seam binding ribbon using the same palette of colors of distress inks. Combined with a couple of fibers from my stash made for a nice finish to the top of the tag.
I did not waste any scraps of fun foam or any time. While each layer was drying, I cut my scraps into squares and rectangles to create this texture plate for my Gelli printing later on :)
I hope you enjoyed my dimensional fall tag. If you did please leave me a comment :)