Mini Me Turkey and More - Spark Some Kreativity Saturday

Hello :)
It is my turn again to represent the the Design Team at the Kraaft Shaak for Spark Some Kreativity Saturday! Well. last week I had no idea of what I wanted to create for this post. So, I was going through all the things in the Kraaft Shaak Shop trying to get an idea. Wow are there A LOT of fun things in the shop! There are new things I want every time I look. But, I was not getting ideas ..I was getting the need to get out my credit card! :) BUT THEN...I was looking in the exclusives section and BAM!...I saw the Mini Me Kits. These little kits have all the wooden bits and bobs you need to make a mini of yourself...as well as some extra doo dads to help your embellish it. The story of my original mini me is HERE or if you want to read a story about the Kraaft Shaak mini me phenomena you should read THIS adorable post from Heather. SO CUTE! Anyway, I had an idea for making something other then a mini me with the kit... for November... But I did not stop there...I ran right into December and January ideas. Take a look :)


I started by making my mini me turkey. I figured she would be a great helper around Thanksgiving in the USA. She can hold your favorite recipe cards for you while you cook. Or, you could make a whole herd..um flock...of them for place holders for your guests. How adorable would that be?!

I began the project by giving all the wooden pieces a coat of Finnabair Gesso. I knew I would be adding some other media to them and I didn't want the wood to act as a sponge and soak up everything I put on it. Gesso helps seal it up and make a workable surface.


Then I saw the pile of Fall colored gelli prints I had made at the beginning of October with my Gelli Arts Printing Plate. Perfect for my turkey covered in nice feathers. I applied a cut out bit of a gelli plate to both the front and back of my body piece using Finnabair Gel. Make sure to put gel on both the wood piece and the back of the paper for a good seal. Then I used a sanding block to clean up the edges where the paper was hanging over. I gave the edges a quick sponging with some distress ink in vintage photo and a ink blending tool...I did this to pretty much every piece for a finished look.


Next my turkey needed some legs..I mean, that is the yummiest part right? I decided to use both pairs of wooden beads from the kit. I colored them with alcohol inks from ranger. I put them on a stylus tool to hold them while I sponged on the ink so I didn't get stained fingers. (imagine me..with stained fingers :) The alcohol ink dries very quickly so I glued them onto the body right away using a stinky glue. Instead of standing up..,my turkey is in a sitting position because I figured she might get a bit wobbly with all the feathers I planned to add.


Now for some turkey feet..not a good part to eat..lol. I got out some medium weight tag board trash I have been hoarding, and some more gelli prints. It would have been smart to apply the prints to the front and back BEFORE I cut out the little feet...but well...I figured that out later. 


As I was thinking about my turkey and her feathers...I remembered a fantastic stamp set and matching dies I got from the Kraaft Shaak Shop. It is a W+9 Stamp set with all sizes of feathers called Fanciful Feathers. I used the tiny feathers to stamp some additional interest on the turkey chest (don't say breast, people could read it the wrong way! :)  


Now for her little turkey face and wings. I painted the circles using Decoarts fluid acrylic in Quinacradone Gold.


Then I made her a beak and a...whatever you call that thing that hangs below the beak. Her double chin? I got smart and applied my gelli print paper to the cardboard BEFORE I cut out the pieces. I used a pencil and folded the pieces around the barrel to make them rounded before attaching to the face piece with glue. Then I drew on some eyes with Posca paint pens. Next, I glued the small circles to the back of the body for supports and then attached some gelli print covered cardboard wings.  


Now for my turkey girls beautiful and fanciful tail feathers. I got out several gelli prints and the fanciful feather dies and used my machine to cut out several sets of feathers. I cut each color twice...one time with the pattern facing up. Then one with the pattern facing down. This made it so I could make them match up front and back. I want ms. turkey to have a nice look from the backside as well ya know :)  

 

I had some craft sticks I got at Walmart in the kid craft section and I decided to use those for her feather pins. I stained them with distress ink in vintage photo by touching the ink pad to them and then misting with water. I used a non stick craft sheet so the excess ink would bead up and let me 'smoosh' the stick around for better coverage. It worked perfect. I also did this to the mini wooden clothes pin that comes with the kit for holding things. I glued that onto her wing since she doesn't have hands.


 I glued feathers front and back to the sticks. I used the matching stamp set to stamp details on the feathers. Or in the case of the bigger size feathers I used Posca pens to add the details.


I finished her off by gluing the sticks on the back of the body to make her fancy fan of tail feathers. I ended up adding another piece of gelli covered cardboard over the back to clean up the look and make it more stable. The feathers made her want to fall backward instead of sitting pretty :)


Once my turkey was done and dry and sitting on my desk..well I could not stop making more cute characters with Kraaft Shaak Exclusive Mini Me Kits !



I started with good 'ol Saint Nick for your December festivities :) He likes to help out holding your cookie recipes or maybe the letter your child wrote to the big Santa.


Then I made my favorite snow guy for January. I need a reminder that snow exists here in Arizona :)


Then I thought... I am going to really need a helper for the Holiday season ..I mean...I have A LOT to do around here! So... I elfed myself! :) 


I hope you have enjoyed these projects inspired by The Kraaft Shaak :) If you still don't feel the urge to create with a few Mini Me Kits then I am worried that you might be the long lost cousin of Mr. Scrooge :) Just kidding of course...but...these were FUN and I hope they inspired a Spark of Kreativity. 
<3 Shel


Comments

  1. Shel these are just too sweet. The turkey is adorable. Love the feathers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peg :) That turkey was so fun to make with all the colorful gelli prints. I just LOVE gelli (also jelly as in oregon marion berry kind :)

      Delete
  2. You did it again, Shel!!!!! The most adorable little minis every and your blog post writing is so very catching, I didn't want it to stop!!! Thank you for this truly kreative spark!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sylvia <3 You always have such positive things to say about all of us :)

      Delete
  3. OH!
    MY!
    GOODNESS!
    You are so Kreative Shel! and so talented!!!! Your whit is unmatched and I can not get over these mini cutenesses!!!!
    I am so stinking impressed - WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heather :) I really like them...I was anxious to get this post up :)

      Delete
  4. Oh wow Shel, this is such a funnnnnnn project!!!! I love all of them, but I this the turkey and elf of yourself are my favs with the snowman and santa pulling the end. These are just funtastic. I LOVE the feathers and stamp set!!!! Awesome sauce!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patty :) The snowman is actually my favorite...but I am a snowman collector of sorts. Most of my Christmas ornaments are snowmen.

      Delete
  5. Way too clever, way too cute, so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So stinkin' cute! Thanks so much for sharing your awesome kreativity with us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Shel these are just fabulous!!! I'm grinning from ear to ear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Win :) Glad they make you smile..me too :)

      Delete
  8. These are so adorable! Your kreativity knows no limits, Shel!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Omgosh Shel!! I thought the turkey was just the best until I saw you as the elf!! hahaa how sweet is that! So cute all of them- well done! xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is very creative..love them all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet comment Lois :) I am glad you enjoyed them and I hope they sparked your creativity.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I read every one :)