Happy New Year! A New Project for StencilGirl® Creative Team!

Happy New Year!
Peg Robinson and I are so happy to be continuing our team affiliation for the StencilGirl® products company into 2020. We both love the designs, the people, and the welcoming attitude this company has for their creative team as well as all the artist/designers!
For the January Creative Team challenge the theme was 'frame it or fill it with circle shapes'
I decided to make a dimensional 12X12 canvas using a monochrome color scheme. I was thinking how the dark of the mornings are getting lighter and lighter as we move out of Winter and eventually into Spring. I chose black gesso and white gesso and then blended the two in the middle of the canvas to become the shades of greys of the sky as it lightens. I painted the base color of the canvas diagonally in this way...dark to light. Next I chose a variety of 'circle shape' stencils from StencilGirl products.

For my stenciling technique I wanted circles designs inside of other circle designs...and so I layered the stencils on top of each other...lining the circles up.




Sometimes using black over white, and other times using the opposite. The paints I used for all my stenciling are the Decoart media fluid acrylic paints. I used small sponge pouncers to apply the paint through the stacked stencils.

To fulfill the 'frame it' portion of the theme I decided to layer some smaller canvases on top of the larger base canvas. I used a 4X6 canvas board and a little 3X3 square canvas board. I stenciled them using the same technique of stencil stacking.



White on black, black on white. To finish up project I did pen work using a variety of widths of water based acrylic pens. I used a straight edge to make some line 'frames' around the large base canvas as well as the smaller canvas that I attached using foam carpet tape. 

I also did quite a bit of free hand line work around the circle shapes with a smaller tipped black and white acrylic pens.


I hope you have enjoyed my project for StencilGirl® products Creative Team this month! 
There is a video on my channel as well as the article on the StencilGirl Blog.




Thanks for reading! <3 Shel C







Comments